THE MARTIN & HILLYER TEAM
BRUCE IS A TRIAL LAWYER IN BURLINGTON WITH 40+ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE PROVIDING PERSONAL INJURY, CAR ACCIDENT AND OTHER LEGAL EXPERTISE TO CLIENTS.
Bruce Hillyer is one of the founding partners of what is now Martin & Hillyer Associates. Bruce was called to the bar in 1972 and has over 40 years experience as a trial lawyer representing clients in the Burlington area. His practice is focused on civil and criminal litigation, with an emphasis on personal injury and insurance disputes.
He has appeared before an extensive array of administrative boards and tribunals over his 40+ years of practice, and has represented his clients and their causes at all levels of court in Ontario, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada.
In 2011, Bruce was selected by his peers as the Lawyer of the Year in the area of Personal Injury litigation in the greater Hamilton area, and he has been selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in Canada list in the field of Personal Injury Litigation since 2006.
Bruce was a founding member and the first president of the Ontario Trial Lawyers’ Association (OTLA), an organization whose mandate is to “fearlessly champion, through the pursuit of the highest standards of advocacy, the cause of those who have suffered injury or injustice.” He remains actively involved in OTLA, as well as its American cousin, the American Association of Justice.
His many years as a trial lawyer have been a wonderful experience. “It’s given me an enormous opportunity to meet and more importantly help a great group of people with a wide variety of problems.”
His clients have come from just about every part of the world. Representing these clients has given him the opportunity to travel to many countries around the world. Bruce’s cases have included everything from the most serious criminal cases through a vast variety of personal injuries caused by an equally vast numbers of causes.
- Motor Vehicle Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Closed Head Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Defective Products
- Slip and Falls
- Injuries on the high seas (Admiralty Law)
- Aviation Litigation
- Legal Malpractice
- Dental & Pharmaceutical Malpractice
- Injuries on the high seas (Admiralty Law)
- Employment Litigation
- Business Law
- Court Martial’s
- All aspects of serious Criminal Law
PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTSWhile Bruce’s proudest accomplishment was founding the ONTARIO TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION some of his other career milestones include the following;
- Bruce Hillyer has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2008, 2009 and 2010 in the field of Personal Injury Litigation. Because Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which 24,000 leading attorneys throughout the country cast almost two million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their specialties, and because lawyers are not required or allowed to pay a fee to be listed, inclusion in Best Lawyers is considered a singular honor. Corporate Counsel magazine has called Best Lawyers “the most respected referral list of attorneys in practice.”
- April 18, 2007 – Named in “The National Post” listing as one of the Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Canada Being named a “Stalwart of the AMERICAN TRIAL LAWYERS’ ASSOCIATION”
- Long-standing service on the board of governors of the “AMERICAN TRIAL LAWYERS’ ASSOCIATION”
- Helping victims of 911 through “TRIAL LAWYERS CARE”
- Building a law firm that for over 35 years has attracted top counsel working together to “make a difference in people’s lives”.
SOCIAL ACCOMPLISHMENTSTwo wonderful children and 44 years of marriage are topped off with an ongoing ‘career’ in Old-timer’s hockey league along with an avid interest in hunting and other outdoor sports.
OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE“Every first appointment with a client is a ‘high’ for me. I enjoy meeting people, learning about their lives and careers and most importantly, helping them solve whatever their legal problem is.”
Bruce is an associate with Hillyer Professional Corporation
REQUEST A CONSULTATION
If your matter is urgent or of a sensitive nature, please call us at (905) 637-5641 to arrange a meeting. Otherwise, complete the form below and we will contact you within 1 business day to arrange your consultation. Questions about what to expect from a legal consultation? Click here for more information about the process.