Burlington Personal Injury Lawyers

Most of our lawyers focus their practices on helping people recover compensation after they have been injured by the negligence of others. In addition to car accidents, personal injury claims can arise in many different situations:

  • a slip, trip or fall on public or private property
  • an injury because of a hazard or dangerous condition in a building or store
  • a dog bite or other animal attack
  • an accident at a workplace
  • an injury when participating in an recreational or organized activity
  • …and countless more

However you were hurt, at Martin & Hillyer, we focus on all aspects of your recovery:

  • recovering financial compensation for what you’ve lost
  • recovering and rehabilitating from your injuries
  • recovering an empowered and fulfilling life despite ongoing injuries

Understanding your personal recovery priorities in all three areas and helping you attain them can be difficult for large, out-of-town law firms and firms that are stretched across the province. But our local lawyers will take the time to understand your unique priorities in order to give you the personalized advice you need to reach your recovery goals.


Our local lawyers will take the time to understand your unique priorities in order to give you the personalized advice you need to reach your recovery goals. Learn more about our personal approach and the difference having a local car accident lawyer can make.

Compensation for your Losses

When you are injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or their failure to reasonably ensure your safety, you can start a civil lawsuit to recover compensation for your losses and injuries. Businesses, property owners, municipalities and individuals can all be liable if they caused or contributed to your injuries, or if they had a duty to ensure your safety and failed to do so.

A personal injury lawsuit is about recovering compensation for what you have lost to try to “make you whole again.” This includes compensation for income you have lost or will lose in the future, payment of your past and future treatment costs, payment for assistance and services you need to cope after your injuries, and compensation to recognize the pain and suffering you have had to endure.

We work to gain a full picture of the damages our clients have suffered as a result of an injury, and then advocate tirelessly to help them recover full and fair compensation so they can move on with their lives.



If you need advice after a car accident, get in touch with us for free consultation to find out what your options are, and learn how we can help you in your recovery.




Limitation periods restrict how long a person has to start a lawsuit for most types of lawsuits in Ontario. In most (but not all) cases, a person has 2 years from the date of an injury or loss to start a lawsuit against someone. If someone does not start a lawsuit before the limitation date, in most cases they are unable to ever do so – even if they had no idea a limitation period existed.

Sometimes it is tricky to determine a precise limitation date, particularly if your injuries weren’t (and could not have been) clear right away, or if the incidents that caused your injuries took place over an extended period.

Since the consequences of missing a limitation period are so serious, it is important that you speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after you have suffered a loss so that he or she can tell you what limitation period applies. Even if you think you might have already missed the limitation period, you should speak with a lawyer to confirm, since there are sometimes exceptions and ways around the deadline that could save your claim.

In some cases, in addition to a limitation period, you need to worry about a notice period. This is a period of time within which you need to warn the defendant that you are going to sue them in the future. They usually apply when governments are the defendants.

Notice periods are usually much shorter than limitation periods – for example, in most cases you only have 10 days to warn a municipality if you are going to sue it for a dangerous condition on a sidewalk.

Missing a notice period without a very good reason can prevent you from starting your case at all, so again – make sure you speak with a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure no time limits are missed.


If your matter is urgent or of a sensitive nature, please call us at (905) 637-5641 to arrange a meeting. Otherwise, complete the form below and we will contact you within 1 business day to arrange your consultation. Questions about what to expect from a legal consultation? Click here for more information about the process.

  • Make sure to include any key dates!